During the creation of my music video I used multiple media technologies, within the planning, construction and evaluation stages.
In the research stages for my music video I used Youtube to view existing videos in a range of genres, this enabled me to understand the conventions of a music video and also allowed to me focus particularly on the singer-songwriter genre. I completed several research posts which included screen-shotting particular shots from the music videos and providing a shot for shot analysis.
In the analysis of the shots i focused on the camera, importance of narrative, colouration, shot duration and performance aspects. I then used pages to import the photos and write up the analysis. I carried this out for 8 music videos in total and posted them onto my WordPress blog.
Within the planning stages of my music video, I created a ‘target audience interview’ where I filmed 4 different people from my demographic giving opinions on what they expected to see in my music video and what would impress my target demographic. The interview I conducted was natural and relaxed which allowed the answers be honest and genuine. As I knew the artist of the song it was easy for me to cast the main artist in the song. I then created a shot list for the music video, although the final product doesn’t match the shot list exactly it served as a useful guideline on shoots and helped me make sure I had every shot I had planned for by the end of a shoot.
In the construction stages of my music video I used an iPhone 7 plus camera when filming with a steady hand gimbal, I also used a cannon 70D for some of the shots. I then imported this footage into Premiere Pro, then exported some of the shots into After effects in order to add the scribble effect then imported them back in to Premiere pro.
Premiere pro was a crucial part of constructing my final music video as it allowed me to edit all of my footage together and also sync up all the lip singing. I used the speed/duration tool in premiere pro to add a slo-mo effect to some of my shots and a reverse speed effect on the final shot of my music video. I also used the brightness & contrast tool to make sure that all the shots looked similar and worked together. I found when editing my shots that the shots i had filmed on my iPhone 7 plus were a higher quality than the ones filmed on the cannon so the shots on the canon were the ones that needed the most enhancement post production.
As well as the construction of my final music video, I also had to construct a digi-pac and website for my artist. When creating the album cover I used a photo from a separate location not included in my music video to create diversity. I imported this image into photoshop and used the stamp tool to remove the artists face and replace it with the sky behind, I also used the colouration tool to create a pink overtone to the album, I then added the artists name and title of the album using the text tool. The final digipac was inspired by Hozier’s album in which the same ‘missing face’ effect was used. I feel like this allows the album cover to have some focus on the artist however it remains eye-catching and original and encourages the audience to focus more on the sound of the artist rather than the face of the artist.
I also created a website on the free website creator, Wix. On my website, I provided information such as where you could purchase the album or stream the songs, tour dates and the option to buy merch. I also utilised the artists social media pages and promoted these throughout the site. I also gave links to external videos including interviews and bloopers from the music video. Wix allowed me to create and change almost every aspect of my website which was extremely helpful as it allowed me to make sure that the website was personal and represented the artist well.
I uploaded all my progress to Vimeo, which was great for sharing my videos and accessible for my peers to provide feedback. I also presented all my research posts and progressed of my ancillary tasks on my WordPress blog.
In conclusion, to create the evaluation questions I used quicktime screen recording to record all my actions on the computer before uploading and editing them on premiere pro.